A "Radical" Life
Striving to live a life less-ordinary.

Word to the Wise

It would help if I were smarter.  

Or is it, "...was smarter"?  (Just in case your'e curious, I looked it up...both are technically correct).  Either way, intelligence sure would come in handy.  "Knowledge is power," after all.  Don't believe me?  Maybe it's just because you don't know better.

But knowledge isn't everything.  I could learn twelve languages, but still not understand the ways of God.  I could study my brains out to learn everything that math, science, history and art have to offer, and it would probably help me a lot in life...but it wouldn't help me understand my purpose for life.

Nope.  I'd much rather be wise than smart, thank you very much (this is a really good thing, since I'm pretty ignorant about most of life).  After all, both the wise and the smart still end up in the grave, but only one will be prepared for what comes next (relatively speaking).

But what can I do about it?  How can I "gain wisdom"?  If I wanted to be smarter, I'd study more.  But where does wisdom come from?

Job 28
“...do people know where to find wisdom?
Where can they find understanding?
No one knows where to find it,
for it is not found among the living.
It is not here,’ says the ocean.
‘Nor is it here,’ says the sea.
It cannot be bought with gold.
It cannot be purchased with silver.

“...do people know where to find wisdom?
Where can they find understanding?
It is hidden from the eyes of all humanity.
Even the sharp-eyed birds in the sky cannot discover it.
Destruction and Death say,
‘We’ve heard only rumors of where wisdom can be found.’

“God alone understands the way to wisdom;
he knows where it can be found,

for he looks throughout the whole earth
and sees everything under the heavens.
He decided how hard the winds should blow
and how much rain should fall.
He made the laws for the rain
and laid out a path for the lightning."

Wisdom comes from God.  
So if your looking for answers to life, ask Him.  
You won't find it in a book...unless it was written by Him.

"Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do!  Though it cost all that you have, get understanding. (Prov 4:7)
1 comments:

I love this! I just read the book of Job and I loved how God let Job know what the real deal was. Thanks for this post Jeremiah!


Jeremiah Smith

Jeremiah Smith

WHY THE BLOG?

I'm striving to live a life less-ordinary. As followers of Christ our lives should not look like everybody elses. We should be more giving, more loving, more passionate, more sure, more...radical. But we're not. We blend in and desperately want to fit in. This blog is my journey toward to a "radical" life that doesn't look like the rest of the world.


ABOUT ME

My photo
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
A Hoosier, a Buckeye and two Rwandans out on a mission to serve the world. Missionaries for Rwanda through AFRICA NEW LIFE MINISTRIES. We are entirely donor-supported, so if you'd like to partner with us through prayer or finances, we would LOVE to set up a time to chat!