A "Radical" Life
Striving to live a life less-ordinary.

Win or Lose, God is God

IT DOES NOT MATTER whether Tim Tebow and the Broncos win or lose tonight.

Don't get me wrong, I want them to win...badly...especially since they're playing the dreaded Patriots!  It would give me great satisfaction!  I promise that I will be jumping up and down, celebrating such a victory if it happens!

But here's the problem.  If they lose, all the anti-Tebowers will rejoice and some will even go so far as to say, "See...there's no God helping him win," or "God doesn't care about football," and they'll feel somehow vindicated and relieved.  If they win, some over-zealous Christians will start analyzing it to death, as if the improbable victory proves once and for all that God exists.

Here's what I think (not that it really matters):

  • I think the football game tomorrow has zero bearing on God's existence.  
  • I think that God can do whatever He wants.  And if He wants to use football to point people to Him, He'll do it (even if you think it's stupid).
  • I think that despite what your perspective is on the whole thing, literally millions of people googled "John 3:16" after last weeks win.  People are reading about the love of Christ because of this.
  • I think that Tebow understands that the game isn't what matters most (even if his fans don't).  He wants to win, of course, but he knows that football is just a game - God and people are what really matter.
  • I also think that Tebow knows full well that he has an incredible platform to point people to Christ and help people...and he's using it for just that.
Maybe God is helping him win.
Maybe He's not.
I'm honestly not sure which it is.

Either way, I'm pretty convinced that He's at least using all this for His purposes.  

And either way, people need to get off his back and root for the guy.  I know many of you are tired of hearing about him (and yes, some of the articles written about him are ridiculous).  But we're not talking about football here.  We're talking about a good guy who is serving those in desperate need on a weekly basis, and who is making a BIG difference in many lives.  Why on earth would you not applaud that?

As for my fellow Christ-followers who are reading this...please understand that Tim Tebow is NOT Jesus.  I promise, he screws up a lot, just like the rest of us.  Don't put him on such a pedestal that your faith is determined by his life.  Perhaps we should spend our efforts praying for the guy to not collapse under the pressure that comes with being a star athlete.

Tebow is going to win some games and lose some games.  Win or lose, God is God.  

In the meantime, I say ROOT FOR THE GUY...not for his football skills, but for the example he's displaying.
1 comments:

Well said, friend. I'm sharing this.


Jeremiah Smith

Jeremiah Smith

WHY THE BLOG?

I'm striving to live a life less-ordinary. As followers of Christ our lives should not look like everybody elses. We should be more giving, more loving, more passionate, more sure, more...radical. But we're not. We blend in and desperately want to fit in. This blog is my journey toward to a "radical" life that doesn't look like the rest of the world.


ABOUT ME

My photo
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
A Hoosier, a Buckeye and two Rwandans out on a mission to serve the world. Missionaries for Rwanda through AFRICA NEW LIFE MINISTRIES. We are entirely donor-supported, so if you'd like to partner with us through prayer or finances, we would LOVE to set up a time to chat!