A "Radical" Life
Striving to live a life less-ordinary.

life

I'm back. I'm regaining my momentum and passion rather than simply surviving and transitioning.

Becoming an immediate father of two children who speak a different language, have several health concerns, and throw tantrums has been an adjustment. Many seem to think it's like a fairy tale and that we must be on cloud nine. And we are. Seriously, it been amazing, but that doesn't mean it's been easy. The transition is a lot for Ellie and Elijah to take in. Yeah, they're living a much better and healthier life...they live in America have a mom and dad now. They have toys, and food, and running water. They have a house, and warm beds, and clothes. But it was only 1 1/2 months ago that they had known nothing outside of a small orphanage in Rwanda Africa. It's a lot for them to take in and adjust to. So, while they've been adjusting and figuring out their new life, parenting has pretty much consumed us. We've loved it and anticipated most of it, but we've definitely been in survival mode.

Today I feel like the fog is lifting and I can see a bit more clearly. Life has been breathed back into my lungs. I'm gaining control of my new life...and my emotions. I'm feeling a renewed hunger and passion for leading worship, being a pastor, and devouring Scripture. I'm again eager to spend time in solitude and silence so that I can hear better. I want to soak in knowledge from books and blogs and sermons and friends.

I must be a better follower so that I can be a better leader, both to my family and to my church. In a way, nothing has changed. My circumstances certainly have changed, but my purpose has not. Christ is the center of my life, not my family. They're certainly next in line, but if they observe me putting them above all else, even God, then I will have only led them astray from the point and source of life.

God has blessed me to the point of absurdity. I can't get enough of my incredible kids and my beautiful wife. I love my job. I have far more than I know what to do with. And most importantly, I've been given this incredible and undeserved GIFT of grace and life with Christ. Eternity with the Creator of the Universe!

I don't deserve any of it.

I need to spend more of my thoughts on what I have been given, and my life needs to reflect some gratitude for it. Life is good.
0 comments:

Jeremiah Smith

Jeremiah Smith

WHY THE BLOG?

I'm striving to live a life less-ordinary. As followers of Christ our lives should not look like everybody elses. We should be more giving, more loving, more passionate, more sure, more...radical. But we're not. We blend in and desperately want to fit in. This blog is my journey toward to a "radical" life that doesn't look like the rest of the world.


ABOUT ME

My photo
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
A Hoosier, a Buckeye and two Rwandans out on a mission to serve the world. Missionaries for Rwanda through AFRICA NEW LIFE MINISTRIES. We are entirely donor-supported, so if you'd like to partner with us through prayer or finances, we would LOVE to set up a time to chat!