A "Radical" Life
Striving to live a life less-ordinary.

turn off the noise

I want my life to matter. I want to make a difference. The last thing I want to is to wake up one day and wonder why I didn't do more with my time on earth. And my guess is that this is true of you too.

But much of life feels like a blur, doesn't it? Most of us are typical Americans going from one thing to the next, just trying to keep up with our schedules...schedules filled with "good" things, mind you. We are BUSY. Noisy. And consequently, somewhat anxious.

Not many people I know take time for intentional solitude, but I think it's the secret ingredient to a peace-filled, difference-making, perspective-keeping life.

Why do we feel like we always have some noise? That we're being selfish and lazy if we take 5 minutes to think? That we'll go crazy if we DON'T have the noise when in fact, we'll go crazy if the noise continues?

Today I took the whole day to think. Must be nice, you say. Wish I had the time to do that. Just wait until you get your kids. I understand that I can't relate. That I can't even fathom how busy we're going to be when our kids finally come home. But I refuse to bend to the lie that says I'll have no time for quiet.

If I get the solitude in, I connect with God and am at total peace because I've had a chance to think and be reminded of the big picture. A chance to lift up all concerns and praises to the Creator of the Universe. A chance clear my conscious and come clean with my shortcomings. An opportunity to be reminded of the promise of heaven and that my time on earth is short. Of what matters and what doesn't.

It's my times of solitude where change happens in my life. And if you're not changing, you're not following. Following Jesus demands change.

You may think I'm a jerk, but I won't let having kids steal that from me. In fact, having kids is that much more reason to fight for the solitude. I want our kids to see me setting the example...that what matters most to their dad is spending time God. And besides, with all the additional chaos in our lives, I'll need to clear my head more than ever!

How could you ever expect to hear from God if you never take the time to listen? If you argue that you don't have time, I would argue back that you've simply filled it with things that are more important to you. It's no wonder so few people ever feel God's movement in their life.

We were meant to make a difference with the very short time that we have here. And let's be honest...we all feel like we have more time that we really do.

So please...I beg you. I wish there we stronger words to convince you. Pleeeese...take regular time for intentional solitude. It could alter the course of your life. Take at least a good 2 hours to sit and think and pray. Take all day if you can. Slow down. Turn off the noise.

And please don't wait for there to be a good week to do this. Cancel something else if you have to. Cancel 5 things if you have to. And then do it again the next week. And again. And again.
Who knows. Maybe God's been trying to get your attention this whole time...
0 comments:

Jeremiah Smith

Jeremiah Smith

WHY THE BLOG?

I'm striving to live a life less-ordinary. As followers of Christ our lives should not look like everybody elses. We should be more giving, more loving, more passionate, more sure, more...radical. But we're not. We blend in and desperately want to fit in. This blog is my journey toward to a "radical" life that doesn't look like the rest of the world.


ABOUT ME

My photo
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
A Hoosier, a Buckeye and two Rwandans out on a mission to serve the world. Missionaries for Rwanda through AFRICA NEW LIFE MINISTRIES. We are entirely donor-supported, so if you'd like to partner with us through prayer or finances, we would LOVE to set up a time to chat!