A "Radical" Life
Striving to live a life less-ordinary.

stupid flyers

Labels: ,
Oct 26, 2010
Tuesday - 9:27 a.m.

Last night, I found myself getting really antsy. And frankly, kind of grumpy (just ask Erin!). I was working on a flyer for our big Adoption Fundraising Open House that we're doing Nov 8th, and I kept getting interrupted. And it wasn't going the way I wanted it to, so I was getting frustrated. And then I started getting frustrated at the simple fact that I was getting frustrated. I knew that once I got some work done on it, I'd feel much better. And I did. The whole thing was really quite stupid, and I feel foolish for letting it happen.

Blame it on a lack of sleep I guess, but I never used to get that way. Ever. Everything used to roll off my back like it was no big deal, even if it was a big deal and should have bothered me. For a while, I thought: "Well, it's just because I've grown up. I have real responsibilities now and that's just how it is." And I suppose there's some truth to that, but not much.

If I didn't believe in or follow the God of the universe, I could understand my anxiety. If I didn't believe the promise of Heaven, of course things would get to me. If I didn't know what Scripture says about worrying or hadn't learned about grace, then I would have every right to worry.

But I know better. I know what Scripture says. I know about and believe in God's grace and about Heaven. So, why do I still have times that I worry? It's stupid. I mean, for crying out loud, the flyers for our event aren't that big of a deal. Why let it eat at me?

It's certainly NOT that I didn't know or believe all the promises of God. It's that I let myself get sucked in by the things of the world, and temporarily took my eyes off of what matters. And I sank. For some reason, I couldn't stop focussing on those stupid flyers and forgot that they have absolutely zero effect on anything eternal. Now that I got some work done on them, won in fantasy football, and got in a good nights rest and a good chat with God, I'm good again. I'm at peace.

I just want to stay there.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7
0 comments:

Jeremiah Smith

Jeremiah Smith

WHY THE BLOG?

I'm striving to live a life less-ordinary. As followers of Christ our lives should not look like everybody elses. We should be more giving, more loving, more passionate, more sure, more...radical. But we're not. We blend in and desperately want to fit in. This blog is my journey toward to a "radical" life that doesn't look like the rest of the world.


ABOUT ME

My photo
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
A Hoosier, a Buckeye and two Rwandans out on a mission to serve the world. Missionaries for Rwanda through AFRICA NEW LIFE MINISTRIES. We are entirely donor-supported, so if you'd like to partner with us through prayer or finances, we would LOVE to set up a time to chat!